Organic cotton with linen
60% organic cotton and 40% linen
100 grams and 350 meters
Recommended needles: 2.5 – 4mm
Sample in stockinette stitch: 28 stitches x 36 rows in 10 cm
Recommended crochet hook needle: 3.5 – 5 mm
Properties of flax
Linen is known for its moisture absorbing and moisture releasing properties, which gives it a pleasant cooling sensation in hot weather. It is perfect for lightweight summer accessories, knitted jackets and oversized sweaters.
Why organic cotton?
Organic cotton is a guarantee of sustainability. In its cultivation, no transgenic seeds are used, and in this way, the soil is kept healthy, with a natural balance that attracts beneficial insects to the crop, avoiding the need to use pesticides and insecticides, extremely harmful to health (it seems that almost ten of the most common pesticides used in non-organic crops are carcinogenic agents).
Soil preparation is done with crop rotation, which conserves more soil moisture and reduces the use of intensive irrigation. Natural processes should be used for defoliation at harvest, discouraging the use of chemical processes.
During the spinning process, natural agents such as non-toxic corn starch are used and for bleaching (if any), safe peroxides are used; avoiding harmful dyes or bleaches. Unlike the production of non-organic cotton where additional chemicals are used including in many cases formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.
Although initially, the prices of this natural product may seem more expensive because they require a higher initial investment, the long-term payback is priceless, while the consumption of non-organic cotton maintains a system of lower economic costs, but devastating in environmental and social terms.
Why opt for the organic version of this plant?
– To promote fair trade practices, where benefits are shared throughout the value chain.
– Because environmental sustainability is guaranteed, intensive cultivation that depletes soils is avoided and fresh water sources, flora and fauna and habitat health are preserved by not using toxic pesticides, insecticides and herbicides.
– Reduced risk for producers, traders and consumers of coming into contact with chemicals harmful to health, such as dioxins, chlorine or formaldehyde; and heavy metals such as chromium, copper and zinc.
– Reduces skin allergies, especially in the case of babies.
– Plants are guaranteed to continue producing their seeds.
– Production of natural and organic cotton reduces carbon emissions compared to non-organic fabrics
– Because it generates a valuable contribution to the preservation of the environment for future generations.
– There are more and more options in the apparel and home lingerie market; using the natural version of cotton is not divorced from style, fashion and trends.
For all these reasons, organic cotton with linen is a great choice for sustainable weaving.
READ ME. Important information:
You should keep in mind that artisanal dyeing is not like industrial dyeing. Batches are small, and the intensity and distribution of colors may vary from one skein to another. If you need the skeins to be from the same dye lot and as similar as possible, please write this in the order notes to take this into account.
It is also important for you to know that colors may look different on each screen and that the mix and distribution of colors you receive may differ from the photo because no two skeins are exactly alike.
In any case, no worries! Because if when you receive the skeins they are not what you expected, we will start the return process without any problem and at no cost to you.
When it comes to washing delicate hand-woven garments, it is important to take extra precautions to maintain their shape and quality, especially if they are woven with hand-dyed yarns.
- Hand wash:
- Dry flat: Place the garment on a clean towel and gently roll the towel to remove excess water. Then, stretch the garment on a flat surface, in block form, to dry. Avoid hanging it, as this may deform it. Tends to shade, prolonged sun exposure can fade colors.
- Proper storage: After washing and drying, store in a clean, dry place. You can spray the garment with our mothproof perfume, gently fold it and place it in a breathable cloth bag.
- Hand wash: